Thursday, November 13, 2008

Who thought it would be so hard?

Part of the accountability of Becoming Whole is to call one of four or five leaders on a daily basis to talk momentarily and to be affirmed / blessed as a man of Christ. On Tuesday, the first day after the meeting, I planned on calling, but kept putting it off. Besides, we just had the meeting the night before and I didn't feel the pull of temptation today. I'm good! What's the point of calling? Wow! This calling thing is going to be harder than I thought. I picked up the phone and thought about who to call. Was it too late? No! 6pm might interrupt someones dinner, but it certainly isn't late. Okay, here we go......... Dial the number. Ring. Ring. Voicemail. I'll leave a polite message that everything is okay and put a check in the block on my acccountability sheet. That wasn't hard! But I didn't really talk to anyone. Okay, next guy on the list to call. Ring. Ring. 'Hello.' the voice said. 'Hey, how's it going?' I say.

After a short conversation, the leader asks me if he can pray for me. I receive his prayer of blessing and encouragement for my family and I. Wow! That was cool. I like this.

Flash forward to Wednesday, and the hustle-bustle of life. I'm 'gonna' call went through my mind several times after work. I have discovered that this 'gonna' thing is not going to work. I felt the pull of temptation a couple of times on Wednesday, but I chose to take God's path of escape and felt empowered to keep my temptation at bay. But this phonecall........I forgot to make it. I'm too busy. I'm gonna. My family time is important, right? My college work is important, right? Today I will make time to make a phonecall, because it is important! It is the support of a brother that has been where I am at, who knows my pain and my stuggle. He desires the opportunity to pray with me and to bless me and affirm me as a man of God. I desire to be blessed and affirmed as a man of God, though at times I would not acknowledge it. Matthew 18:20 says, "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

No comments: